The C is a middle-level programming language was developed by Dennis Ritchie while working at AT&T Bell Labs in the USA. It was developed to redesign UNIX operating system to enable it to be used on multiple computers.
Earlier the B language was used for UNIX system. B is a high-level language, it allowed much faster production of code than in assembly language. But it has drawbacks. It does not support “structures” and did not understand “datatypes”. Two overcome this drawback, a language was introduced and the programming language called C.
Dennis Ritchie kept most of language B’s syntax and added data-types and many other required changes. C has high level functionality, and detailed feature for OS programming. Hence, many of the UNIX components including UNIX kernel were rewritten in C.
Benefits of C language
- C language has a rich library with Rich set of built in Operators and Functions. That can be used to write any complex program.
- It is Machine Independent or Portable language, and is used for development of system applications which form a major part of Windows, UNIX, and Linux operating system.
- C can be used for game design, graphics, enterprise applications.
- C is used as scripting language for drivers of embedded systems. Because it has direct access to machine level hardware APIs, dynamic memory allocations etc.
- C is a structured programming language which allowed us a complex program can be written into simpler programs called functions. It also allows free movement of data across these functions.
- C is case sensitive, So lowercase and uppercase letters are treated differently.
- C implements algorithms and data structures swiftly, facilitating faster computations in programs.